Rule 1: Learn English Phrases

This is the first fule of Effortless English and you are going to learn a great tip for learning English. So What is the best way to learn English vocabulary fast and remember theme longer? As you know, learning vocabulary is very important for reading, listening and of course speaking. Now watch below video and find out how to imrpove it.

How To Learn Vocabulary Fast?

Hi, I am A.J.Hoge, The director of Effortless English. And Wellcome to the free seven rules e-mail course. Today is rule 1. Now, rule 1 is Learn English Phrases, Not Individual Words. This one just like the other rules, very simple, very easy. And like the other rules, this one is very very powerful. It’s so simple, so powerful.

What is the rule? The rule is always learn phrases, not individual words. So simple. A phrase is a group of words. But it’s just an even a part of sentence. So, for example let’s say you have the word “hate” and you want to learn this word. You can write down the world hate and you find it from the dictionary the meaning and you memorising it “hate”.  That’s the old way, that’s the kind of text book way, the school way right?

Download Free English Mp3+pdf Lesson

You can download mp3 listening lesson for Effortless English Rule 1 from below download link.

download-free-english-listening-mp3-lesson

In school, you probably remember a lot of individual words. You have big vocabulary lists. You try to memorize all of them, you try to memorize all of the individual, single words. It’s not good way to learn. Much better if you learn the pharase, a group of words. And where do you find these phrases?  You find these phrases in the real English podcasts that you listening to, in the real english story books that you are reading. And don’t memorize the lists in a book. No, no, no.

You listen to real english and when you hear a new word, you write down. Or when you reading a story book, when you see a new word, you write it down. Bu you do not write down just that word. You are going to write down whole phrase or part of sentence that is end, all of it. So instead of the “hate”, you write it down the “hate”, you would say, you write down “john hate ice cream” you write down whole phrase.

Why do we do this? What is the power of the phrases? Well, phrases give you a lot of information, much more information. Number one, phrases are easy to remember. Because they have meaning. They have kind of a Picture of a story. Especially when you get them from something that you are reading or listening to. You remember it. “John hates ice cream”. You remember the whole story, you remember the who John is, you remember he has an ice cream and he hates ice cream, he didn’t like it. Write theese all of extra information helps you remember the mening of the phrase and the meaning of the word. So it heps you memory, much easier to memory.

Number two, there is a bonus. When you learn phrases, you are learning grammar also. You are not only learning individual word, you are learning grammar. You are learning how to use that word correctly. You don’t need to think about grammar. You don’t need to know rules, it’s automatic. This is another way that native speakers learn english grammar. Because we were children we learn with phrases. We learn groups of words,  not just one word by one word, by one word.

Word by word is slow and it doesn’t help. And you don’t learn any grammar. When you learn whole phrase, you write dont phrase, you are getting extra information. Maybe you don’t know it but you are. For example, “Jonh hates ice cream”. Just that word, just Jonh hates. You know grammar study getting the subject in the word the agree.. you don’t need to think about that. Just write down the phrase “Jonh hates ice cream” and study it, review it. Always learn the phrase, not just that word.

And so in the future whenever you say, he hates ice cream, she hates ice cream. You will add that “s” right. Because how you learned it. You learned it correctly. You learned it from a phrase. On the other hand, if you learn it from a textbook you just learn the word “hate” means does not like, you learn that form hate, hate, hate… and you study, study, study you memorize it thats make you make some mistakes. Because you learned it from only this one way. You didn’t learn the other words. So, sometimes you will say “he hate ice cream”. You will forget the “s”. Because you never learn it correctly in a sentence, in a phrase.

english-phrases

So it is very simple rule and each rule in the course very very important. Every time you will find a new word, always write the phrase or the sentence. When you review that word again when you study it again always, always always… study the entire phrase or sentence. Never study just the word, always the phrase. Do this every time, your grammar will began to improve much faster. And you will remember the vocabulary faster and more easily and you will use that vocabulary more quickly. So you get a lot of great benefits, a lot of great stuff happens when you learn phrases instead of words. So, phrases, phrases, phrases… learn them.

I hope you enjoy rule number one. Use this rule. And your homework is to get a little phrase notebook. So when you find a new English vocabulary in a lesson, in a something that you listening to, in a book, in an article; write down the phrase, not just one word, write down the entire, the whole phrase that you find. And then review that phrase again and again each day. You will create a notebook full of phrases, full of sentences not individual words, never individual words.

Learn English Phrases. Ok, so that’s rule one. Tomorrow, you will get a new e-mail with rule number two. So see you tomorrow. Bye bye.

Click here to view more details!

P.S. Effortless English lessons are great for learning English vocabulary and phrases. There are mini story lessons of Effortless English and AJ Hoge is asking you lots of easy questions. You need to answer these questions out loud and after a few days you learn great vocabulary and phrases with that way. I really recommend this course for intermediate and advanced learners.

Click here to download Power English Course now!

Effortless English Rules Video Series:

63 Responses to “Rule 1: Learn English Phrases”

1. geesara says:

Your English is pretty comprehensive. And you help me so much, thanks….

2. zari says:

dear advisor!
    love you for suggesting intelligence ways of learning english.
    love
    zari

3. Tara Bhujel says:

Wow! its great, I learn something today about english fluency

Thanks

4. […] can also look at Effortless English Rule 1. It is a very powerful vocabulary learning method. Learn English phrases, not individual words. So […]

5. erdal says:

i want to learn english very quickly with you

6. bassam says:

thanks alot you gave 7 essential ideas of how to Learn English. u have got solutions for my destroyer problems

7. aya says:

you are the best teacher of english i ever seen :))

8. habib says:

i love speak english with american accent verrrrrrryyyyyyyyy

9. Somayajulu says:

I read your Rule 1. It is quite interesting and it is very useful. Thanks a lot

10. mahyar says:

hi. i gave Effortless English method to an university professor ….. he was very shocked because of 7 rules . now he wants to change his method after over 20 years of teaching . but he is not satisfied ….he wants to talk to the best teacher in all over the world . yes AJ HOGE. how can he make a call? please answer.

11. admin says:

Hi Mahyar, please contact AJ Hoge whit this e-mail: ajhoge@effortlessenglish.org and thell him about your full comment.

12. […] you should focus on English phrases. You must learn English phrases, not individual vocabulary. Click here to watch PowerEnglish rule 1 video and find out hot to learn English vocabulary […]

13. enkhee says:

hi .I read rule 1-7.That.s very nice me and very important me.I want very good speak English but I was can.t I happy Today.Thanks

14. xjchum says:

thanks for posts ! Iam seaching a website what I can learn E easily, comfortably. I want to speak real English and thanks for all, I love you very much !!!

15. Rajkumar says:

I’ve been learning English since year 2006 and still I’m not fluent in English.
    These rules of yours, they are aewsome
    Now I know what mistakes I’ve been doing for 6 years 🙁 ;-(
    Thanks a lot sir for sharing these rules with English learning students like me and others
    You have made English fluency a lot easier by sharing these rules
    After reading these very HELPFUL rules I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be fluent within 3-6 months
    Thanks again sir 🙂

16. yogesh rajangoanker says:

i want to thousands phrases due lack of vocabulary .i want to speak english

17. thong Inh says:

Dear Mr. A.G Hoge, I’m glab to learn English with you on effortless english, it’s my first begining , because , i never learn english at Shool . I learn english for myself . Thank you for effortless english , I’m happy for to found your best mothod .

18. I understand your English easily!!

19. Neelima sahu says:

thnx sir ,
    ur efford towards student society will nt go in vain sir . I really very much benefited by following ur rules and attractive way to get ente rinto the English world .

20. ezhilmaran says:

i want learn english more like english man so i need to learn english from your website and iam going to work in a call centre for getting english and work correctly

21. benzart says:

thanks for your help, now i can teach my self with your new smart way of the learn

22. Amit says:

i read your rule no.1, really , it is the best ways to improve english speeking

23. MUBASHIR NAZAR says:

very nice this is very helpful tip i got it from your thank you. my mother language is urdu but i try to learn English to act on your tips

24. Mohammad Hashim says:

I really loved Aj Hoge 7 Rules his course is fantastic have all the rules in it really helpful stuff Aj kept every thing simple and easy to understand deeply Thanks Aj.

25. SRINIVASARAO MAVURI says:

EASY METHODS OF ENGLISH TO SPEAK VERYWELL

26. jada says:

Hello every body am asking if I can practice English language with native, over voice ?
    Thanks, with my appreciation

27. jada says:

I need practice english over voice

28. waruna sandarangane says:

i like it. i thinking about that is the easy way of learned english

29. waruna sandarangane says:

i like it.i thinking about this way learned english

30. reham says:

Hi wonderful Aj. I’m writing to thank you. Your technique is significant, your method is new and worthwhile. You are the best English teacher I have ever seen. You are charismatic and persuasive. I owe you much. I hope you come and teach in Egypt, so I could meet you. Please, keep going on. All the best.

31. ahmed says:

i found your way it was very good i am interested in learling a new language and since a couple months i teach myself with a progam maybe you know it ,its name is english for you … i am able to make somes conversations but when i want read one paragraph of newspaper i usually find some dificulties to understand..now how can i get your advices to help me in my futur.thank you very much..i hope you usually have good health and your familly

32. Adam says:

Hi every one; i’m looking for someone who can practise english with me , I would be so glad if i could find some freinds interessted. my skype is adam.idrissi9

33. adam says:

Hi , your english is comprehensive, and your methods are so powerful.thank’s;

34. lesya says:

hi,I want to know,where I can read ur 7 lessons fully.

35. admin says:

Hi lesya you can read Effortless English 7 rules and watch AJ Hoge videos by clicking here.

36. lesya says:

thanks a lot,dear admin.

37. lesya says:

sorry,I have another question,is effortless english 7 rules a book?I want to learn english so much,my major is teacher english language,I have graduated university this year,but I can’t speak or teach well.and I need working,money.I need ur helping.

38. saeed says:

hi, we are students language teaching we are gonna write an essay (how to learn english word) we studied ur 7 rules ,and it was very useful but we hope that u help us .
    your sincerly(saeed,mina&mahsa frm iran)

39. hind says:

I want learn english

40. bharathi says:

dear A.J.hoge i read rule no.1 it’s really superb method now i gonna follow that, i like u very much…..

41. admin says:

Hi Bharathi, Keep going Effortless English 7 rules. These are so powerful methods to learn English faster and speak English fluently. According to Rule 1, you should always learn and review English phrases not individual words.

42. malay says:

i can not speak english correctly, plz help me

43. Lamina.G says:

I like this program because it make easy to learn naturally . I use it every day . Now I am learning Effortless English 7 rules. It is very fun.

44. Arvinder Singh says:

Effortless English 7 rules are very good. I love this training. I am speaking better english already after just two weeks! You can see even my writting is better!

45. Vicente says:

I’m need of the mini story of Anmy, japonese . I need that’s text, because dowload not work for me.

46. admin says:

Hi Arvinder, thanks for sharing your comments with us. Yes, as you mentioned Effortless English 7 rules are very powerful and helped lots of people who want to learn English fast and easy way. You can improve your writing by reading text of the lessons when you listen. But I really recommend Effortless English course for speaking.

47. sanjay says:

Wow,it’s great to learn English faster & effectively I would like to thank aj.

48. Manish kumar says:

hey i am manish and i want to improve my english speaking. kindly tell me some basics & from where should i have to start first. kindly mail me all the detail

49. admin says:

Hi Manish Kumar, you should start from listening English.

50. amal says:

Really following these rules bought miracle in my life .Earlier i was a poor user of English language but now I have the confidents to speak because now I’m able to convey the ideas from my mind in English rather than translating it……soo thanks alot…